As I’ve mentioned here before, I have been on a kick of cooking more at home and in addition to that (as if that isn’t hard enough), cooking healthier meals. I’ll admit, cooking in general and healthy cooking, is all pretty new to me. Over the last couple months I’ve cooked, experimented, overcooked, minced, diced, burned, and surprised myself on several occasions :) With this all comes lessons learned…so here are some of the most crucial cooking lessons:
1. When a recipe calls for a “butternut squash cubed”, don’t buy a fresh squash and plan on washing, peeling, de-seeding, cutting, and cubing it. Just buy the bag of “cubed squash”.
2. Remove bay leaves before eating the final dish.
3. A garlic mincer only minces garlic.
4. When cooking a pasta dish, follow the directions for how much noodles to cook. I know it doesn’t look like a lot, but it REALLY is enough.
5. After opening the resealable container of chicken or beef broth, it must be refrigerated.
6. When a recipe calls for a fresh spice, do not put the same amount of the dried version in the recipe instead. i.e. 2 tbsp fresh rosemary is NOT the same as 2 tbsp dried rosemary.
7. Caesar dressing has anchovies in it…eeewwwww
8. Whatever a recipe says as the “preparation time”, times it by 2. Sometimes 3.
I’m super excited as I look at my calendar and for the next several days it says 311 Day – Las Vegas! One of my husbands favorite bands, OK lets not lie to ourselves, his ALL TIME FAVORITE BAND is 311. Go ahead and Google them if the name isn’t ringing a bell. And yes, they have had several other hits besides the 90’s “Down” and “All Mixed Up” :) Every other year they have a big concert celebration on March 11th, aka 311 DAY! Get it, get it?? This is the 2nd time we’ll be heading to Vegas for the big event. So for the next few days I will not be healthy cooking in my kitchen, I will be gambling, rockin out to some 311, and standing in line at some Vegas buffets.
Before I head off for some editing and packing, here is a lil teaser from a maternity session I shot this week with the beautiful Lise. Just love the light.
Have a great rest of your week!